YEAR 9 OPTIONS
BTEC Level 2
- Examination board: Edexcel
- Contact: Mr Stephen Barrett, Head of Department
This is an optional subject which all students will study for 3 hours per week.
This qualification is for learners who want to acquire technical knowledge and technical skills through vocational contexts by exploring and developing their musical skills and techniques, and by responding to a music industry brief as part of their Key Stage 4 learning. The qualification recognises the value of learning skills, knowledge and vocational attributes to complement GCSEs. The qualification will broaden the learners experience and understanding of the varied progression options available to them.
The Award gives learners the opportunity to develop sector-specific knowledge and skills in a practical learning environment. The main focus is on four areas of equal importance, which cover the:
- development of key skills that prove learners’ aptitude in music such as responding to a musical brief using musical skills and techniques.
- processes that underpin effective ways of working in the music industry, such as the development of musical ideas, and using skills and techniques for rehearsal and performance to respond to a music industry brief.
- attitudes that are considered most important in the music industry, including personal management and communication.
- knowledge that underpins effective use of skills, processes and attitudes in the sector such as musical skills and styles.
There are four components learners must complete as part of this course:
- The Music Industry – Exam
- The Live Sound Industry – Coursework based
- Introduction to Live Performance – Coursework based
- Managing a Music Product – Coursework based
If you achieve a level 2 pass in BTEC Level 2 Music you could study BTEC Level 3 Music at Bourne Academy Sixth Form.
There are endless career paths upon successfully passing this qualification. The course has been designed to give learners the opportunity to develop their understanding in more than just music, they will cover business factors, team working exercises and computer-based skills to name a few.